The Value Added Tax (VAT) in Saudi Arabia
represents an indirect tax which is levied on all goods and services acquired and sold by a legal entity
, with several exceptions. Since the 1st of January, 2018, Saudi Arabia imposed this tax here.
VAT applicability in Saudi Arabia in 2021
The value added tax in Saudi Arabia in 2021 is a consumption tax applied to all goods and services provided in the city-state. It also applies to imported goods. The VAT is considered an indirect tax because it is paid by the final consumer and it is not levied on the company that produces or distributes the product or supplies the service.
At the level of 2021, foreign company owners who want to register for VAT in Saudi Arabia can rely on our accountants.
Details on the VAT in Saudi Arabia
As mentioned earlier by our company registration
advisors in Saudi Arabia
, there are certain goods and services which pay a 0% VAT
rate in this country in 2021
. These are:
• Exports of products and services outside the Council Territory, when backed by proof of the movement of these products or services;
• Supplies with customs duty suspension areas;
• Exports of services when the client is not a resident of the Council Territory and/or the consumption does not occur within the Territory;
• International transport services of goods and individuals;
• Medical equipment and medicines;
• Investments in precious metals.
Also, there are certain supplies which are exempt from VAT in Saudi Arabia in 2021, therefore do not have the right for reclaiming of the input VAT reclaims. These are:
• The issuance or transfer of money or security on a monthly basis;
• Operations of current, deposit and savings accounts;
• Financial instruments;
• Islamic finance products, which are Shari’ah compliant;
• Interests on loans, debt security or credit;
• Life insurance;
Other services: our Saudi Arabia company formation
agents can provide more details on what these other services consist of. We can also advise you on how to open a company in Saudi Arabia
VAT regulations in Saudi Arabia in 2021
A member of the Shoura Council, Mr. Mohammed Al-Khunaizi, recently declared that the introduction of the VAT in Saudi Arabia
would help to raise the tax
revenues for the local authorities to use for infrastructure and development.
Mr. Al-Khunaizi continued saying that there would be punitive measures taken strictly for those who had not registered so far or who do not abide by the laws.
If you have further questions about the Saudi Arabian VAT rates for 2021
, or for assistance in setting up a company in Saudi Arabia
, please get in touch
with our friendly staff.